Greetings from East of Kansas City, a wee bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from East of Kansas City, a wee bit

Hello, I am new here, joined two days ago. But I am NOT new to audio. I like to design and build my own SET DC two-stage triode amps, because I think amps, and not speakers, are the WORST performers in audio. I feel 99.99 percent of the available audio amps are SORELY lacking, in many many areas. A travesty !! So, since I can't afford the best amp I am aware of, ( especially for ALTECs, the Serious Stereo amp ), I do my own builds. The 46 stereo Direct Coupled amp I pictured is being temporarily used by me on my mass loaded ALTEC VOTT hybrid A7-800 system, and is to become just a nice gift for an old audio friend of mine. I live 50 miles East of Kansas City , MO.
    Type 46 stereo D.C. amp, 6 Ohm L1 and L2, I designed and  built by this for a friend 5-2017, for his Valencias Interesting view, all film caps, each C position multiple bypassed to have a wide bandwidth SET presentation of music, and maximum musical expression. 515Bs and 802Ds on an Emilar EH500 horns.  Adjustable concrete Relfex ports ( 80 square inches ) and about 400 pounds of mass loading on 825 enclosures for improved midrange clarity. Done by EAR.

Welcome to the HFH community!!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010015.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	60995

Thanks, this was my third post here. Will be fun. Don't know how to navigate well, but that will improve with practice. I HOPE to be able to assist others with common interests. I am strictly an amateur, but have been listening to ALTEC 604s, since I was a baby, Dad had them in the house.

EDIT, Each VOTT A7 825 enclosure has 400 pounds of mass loading, not 400 pounds on both. Amount determined very simply, by ear. Notice, short logical path on SET amp, short lead lengths, thought-out in advance.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dowto1000; 09-05-2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Welcome dowto1000 to HiFiHaven. I too love the DIY part of the audio hobby. Enjoy posting. If you would please look at this link. http://www.hifihaven.org/forum/the-r...es-please-read

Comment

Welcome dowto1000 !

Looking forward to discussing our various preferences in amps and speakers.
          Turntables, Tonearms, MC & MM Phono Cartridges, SUTs, Tubes All the Way (SET, SEP and PP), Some Digital Stuff, Big Horns, Electrostats and Stand Mount Monitors, Assorted Cable and Wire. System listed here: http://www.hifihaven.org/forum/-8-mi...dated-9-3-2017

"To thine own ears be true....."

"Audiophiles Just Want to Have Fun....."

Comment

Nice looking gear.

What sources do you prefer?
            Turntables, Tonearms, MC & MM Phono Cartridges, SUTs, Tubes All the Way (SET, SEP and PP), Some Digital Stuff, Big Horns, Electrostats and Stand Mount Monitors, Assorted Cable and Wire. System listed here: http://www.hifihaven.org/forum/-8-mi...dated-9-3-2017

"To thine own ears be true....."

"Audiophiles Just Want to Have Fun....."

Comment

• dowto1000
              dowto1000 commented
              Editing a comment
              I use a Pioneer Elite Blu Ray player, BDP-09FD, have about 40 CDs, and I have about 10,000 LPs.

My phono unit is " down " presently. I am switching form a KM Audio Linear table with heavy " European platter " , and a Fulton ( Syrinx improved, ceramic ball bearings ) tonearm, to a Thorens TD-124... in Q 4 2017.

• TubeHiFiNut
              TubeHiFiNut commented
              Editing a comment
              dowto1000 - The TD-124is a superb 'table. I enjoy mine very much.

Welcome aboard!
            Kenwood KD-750 with Fidelity Research FR-24 MK II and Nagaoka MP500, Rega Planet CD, Restored Sansui AU-717, EAR 834p Replica Phono, Spendor SP1/2eR2 Speakers

Comment

Welcome
              Spendor A6, REL T/7i, Primaluna Dialogue Premium Integrated, Mac Mini w/ Fusion Drive, Marantz CD 6005, Wyred4Sound Femto Clock DAC-1LE, Roon, EWA LS-XXV Speaker Cables, Tara Labs RSC Prime M1 IC, Black Cat Silverstar SPDIF and USB, PS Audio Dectet.

Comment

• dowto1000
                dowto1000 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks !! very nice of you.

Dowto1000

Hi Jeff, welcome to HFH. It's a nice non-confrontational community of hifi enthusiasts. I think you'll find quite a few familiar acquaintances here. Lot's of Altec and tubes. Lots of people with years of experience and great listening skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                Hi Jeff, welcome to HFH. It's a nice non-confrontational community of hifi enthusiasts. I think you'll find quite a few familiar acquaintances here. Lot's of Altec and tubes. Lots of people with years of experience and great listening skills.
                Thanks Kyle,

So far, its been VERY nice.

Dowto1000

Comment

• Audionut
                  Audionut commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome to the Haven, looking forward to your full system in pictures!

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X