Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Piece Comes Back From Sickbay. And It Sounds Fantastic.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Piece Comes Back From Sickbay. And It Sounds Fantastic.

Just picked this up from the best tech in Toronto. The case was restored by a local guy who does guitar restoration for a living. I wish my pictures could do justice to the depth of the finish.

And yes, this Receiver is special. Yes, it's crafted like a vintage Aston Martin, and yes, it was the last totally hand made piece that came out Harman Kardon's US factory. But it is the only receiver I've ever heard that could actually be the center piece of a high end system. And I've either had or heard all of them. With some careful component matching (it is of its time admittedly, with a slight tilt upwards in the treble), I think this thing could be killer. It's doing its wonderful holographic thing right now, with Peter Paul and Mary singing right in my room. It's as if it doesn't realize that it's just a receiver meant for convenience, and thinks it's a piece of true, high end gear.

So yes, there is one receiver to rule them all. And the Citation Receiver is it.
    Last edited by Prime Minister; 07-14-2017, 01:01 PM.
    Kenwood KD-750 with Fidelity Research FR-24 MK II and Nagaoka MP500, Rega Planet CD, Restored Sansui AU-717, EAR 834p Replica Phono, Spendor SP1/2eR2 Speakers

Pictures? !!!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyFresh View Post
      Pictures? !!!
      Working on it. I hate Vbulletin.
      Kenwood KD-750 with Fidelity Research FR-24 MK II and Nagaoka MP500, Rega Planet CD, Restored Sansui AU-717, EAR 834p Replica Phono, Spendor SP1/2eR2 Speakers

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	977.4 KB
ID:	58856
        Last edited by Prime Minister; 07-14-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170713_181818968.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	58860

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170713_181818968.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	58859

SHiny Side

Comment

• opa1
            opa1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful Finish!

Beautiful.....just beautiful. ­čĹŹ

Probably THE ultimate audio receiver.
          Turntables, Tonearms, MC & MM Phono Cartridges, SUTs, Tubes All the Way (SET, SEP and PP), Some Digital Stuff, Big Horns, Electrostats and Stand Mount Monitors, Assorted Cable and Wire. System listed here: http://www.hifihaven.org/forum/-8-mi...dated-9-3-2017

"To thine own ears be true....."

"Audiophiles Just Want to Have Fun....."

Comment

I wish the pictures did justice to it. It is so much more impressive in the flesh. Everything is overbuilt and of great quality.

I'm trying to imagine what speakers it would have been voiced for.

Comment

Originally posted by Prime Minister View Post
              I wish the pictures did justice to it. It is so much more impressive in the flesh. Everything is overbuilt and of great quality.

I'm trying to imagine what speakers it would have been voiced for.
              Interesting question.

If you ever devide to sell the Citation.....I want it. Please.
              Turntables, Tonearms, MC & MM Phono Cartridges, SUTs, Tubes All the Way (SET, SEP and PP), Some Digital Stuff, Big Horns, Electrostats and Stand Mount Monitors, Assorted Cable and Wire. System listed here: http://www.hifihaven.org/forum/-8-mi...dated-9-3-2017

"To thine own ears be true....."

"Audiophiles Just Want to Have Fun....."

Comment

I'll add you to the Citation waiting list.

Comment

oooooooh...

Comment

Purdymous!

Comment

Astounding. I at least want visiting rights....

Comment

Beautiful. I have a 430, a 730 (both of which need work at some point) and a citation 15 tuner that's gotten some bench love from Punker X. Really love what I hear as a house sound from that era of H/K. I bet your receiver sounds fantastic.

Comment

• Prime Minister
                        Prime Minister commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It is a truly lovely piece, and having had most of the HK receivers of the time, it's head and shoulders above the rest.

I like the aesthetics of all the mid/late 70s hk hardware (although the Citation Receiver is probably the zenith) -- although the ones with the LED bar graphs may have been a bit much

Comment

• Prime Minister
                        Prime Minister commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The big power amps? Awww, they were just fun.

• mhardy6647
                        mhardy6647 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The amps were fine -- the meters on 'em were sorta overkill (in retrospect).
                        Mind you, there's an A-402 here, and I still like it just fine, thank you (tricolor LED meters notwithstanding)

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X