Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion: Can there be one true "best" amp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dowto1000 - Audio is rather like ice cream in some ways.....

Some folks like Strawberry.

Some folks like Pistachio.

Some folks like Vanilla.

Some folks like Chocolate.

No matter how much the "Pistachio Aficionado" tries to convine Strawberry, Vanilla and Chocolate that Pistachio is the best, the one true path to 'Ice Cream Bliss', each is still going to prefer what they prefer.

Regarding your kind offer to visit and bring your amps, it doesn't meet my criteria for evaluating potential new gear. When I evaluate components, I do so over weeks and months of listening, comparing and listening more. There have been too many occasions where a component that sounded sooooo promising in the short term did not wear well, at all, in the long term.

WHEN AND IF I elect to have a two stage, direct coupled 2A3 amp built, I will definitely post my short and long term listening impressions on The Haven.

Since we speak frankly with each other, continually telling me that my 845 (or 300B or EL84) SE amps suck because yours sound better and your design is superior is, as JohnVF stated, the definition of arrogance.

I am offering this information to you because I do not think you know that your presentation is perceived as arrogant and condescending.

Like you, I've been doing this hobby for a looooong time and I know what I like. You can stop trying to "convert" me to your way of thinking - it won't work.

Please respect my choices and I will respect yours.

I think that you are knowledgeable and hope that we can continue to have spirited and intellectually stimulating conversations.

Just my opinions.....
    Last edited by TubeHiFiNut; 09-09-2017, 02:12 PM.
    Turntables, Tonearms, MC & MM Phono Cartridges, SUTs, Tubes All the Way (SET, SEP and PP), Some Digital Stuff, Big Horns, Electrostats and Stand Mount Monitors, Assorted Cable and Wire. System listed here: http://www.hifihaven.org/forum/-8-mi...dated-9-3-2017

"To thine own ears be true....."

"Audiophiles Just Want to Have Fun....."

Comment

• dowto1000
      dowto1000 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is FINE, I THINK you " took me " really well. I appreciate that.

We should feel free to talk any time, since we sorta know each other now, and from whence we each come from. That helps in communicating a lot I think

Dowto1000

• TubeHiFiNut
      TubeHiFiNut commented
      Editing a comment
      dowto1000 - I am hoping that I can arrange my schedule to go to RMAF this year. Perhaps we will be able to converse in person.

And it would give me the opportunity to listen to your amps - albeit in less than optimal conditions.

Meeting you in person there, would be cool. You would not be hearing MY amps at all, but rather, Dennis' Serious Stereo amps.

He is showing in Room 3017 this year, Oct 6-7-8th. From what I understand, Dennis' brother will be driving in with him as usual, to help load into the facility, but Brian has a big " Indian Pow Wow" that he photographs, so it may fall upon me to assist in the room. Heck, I don't know his program material at all, or, how to use his phono or digital sources. Hate to blow demos . 'Will see.

If YOU attend, you can tell me what other rooms to look at and hear, in whatever limited visiting time I have. I hope MBL - Germany is there this year. Fun room .

My amp builds, from 4-2016 on, now differs more from Dennis'. I use new ( to-audio ) ultra high current ( peak instantaneous current ) industrial film capacitors, in the B+ supply to the Finals, and in the VOTT's DIY two-way crossovers. I LIKE them a lot.

Dowto1000
    Last edited by dowto1000; 09-09-2017, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Audionut
      Audionut commented
      Editing a comment
      You may very well have the very best 2a3 design but most people will likely not even take it into consideration if not presented in a palatable matter. I am a teenager in terms of audiophile gear/listening experience but do a little better in communication; if you want anyone to try your steak you need to season it (but not overdo it), present it on a nice plate with some good sides and garnishes, a fine wine or beer maybe? Then again you may be of the type that just wants to get to the meat of things, but who wants an undercooked and poorly seasoned stake?
      BTW, I am curious about your design ideas. Feel free to send me a PM with schematics, parts list and total build cost. Or maybe I can borrow your 2a3 to compare with a buddies 2a3?🙂

Originally posted by dowto1000 View Post
    Meeting you in person there, would be cool. You would not be hearing MY amps at all, but rather, Dennis' Serious Stereo amps.

He is showing in Room 3017 this year, Oct 6-7-8th. From what I understand, Dennis' brother will be driving in with him as usual, to help load into the facility, but Brian has a big " Indian Pow Wow" that he photographs, so it may fall upon me to assist in the room. Heck, I don't know his program material at all, or, how to use his phono or digital sources. Hate to blow demos . 'Will see.

If YOU attend, you can tell me what other rooms to look at and hear, in whatever limited visiting time I have. I hope MBL - Germany is there this year. Fun room .

My amp builds, from 4-2016 on, now differs more from Dennis'. I use new ( to-audio ) ultra high current ( peak instantaneous current ) industrial film capacitors, in the B+ supply to the Finals, and in the VOTT's DIY two-way crossovers. I LIKE them a lot.

Dowto1000
    As long as my business schedule permits, I would like to attend RMAF this year.

If things work out, I look forward to meeting you.
    Turntables, Tonearms, MC & MM Phono Cartridges, SUTs, Tubes All the Way (SET, SEP and PP), Some Digital Stuff, Big Horns, Electrostats and Stand Mount Monitors, Assorted Cable and Wire. System listed here: http://www.hifihaven.org/forum/-8-mi...dated-9-3-2017

"To thine own ears be true....."

"Audiophiles Just Want to Have Fun....."

Comment

• Audionut
      Audionut commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't do it, Tubehifinut it's a trap! He is the hype man for Serious stereo amps! 😅.
      On a serious note; I'd love to hear half the gear/speakers you have. It would save me a lot of money in my audio journey! (But there again is half the fun of it all).

• TubeHiFiNut
      TubeHiFiNut commented
      Editing a comment
      Audionut - No worries.....If I am able to be in Denver during RMAF, I am sure that Jeff and I will find lots to talk about.

If you are ever in my area, give a shout....I'd enjoy listening and visiting.

We can schlepp speakers and amps around.

• Audionut
      Audionut commented
      Editing a comment
      (I have not figured out how to attach an icon with the name on it to reference a specific member yet like you did in your response) - Thank you kindly, I see that you are in Nevada, I was actually in Laughlin last weekend enjoying the river and lake near Bullhead city. I may take you up on that one day soon enough, I'll buy the lunch and "beverages" of course!
      Last edited by Audionut; 09-10-2017, 10:46 AM.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X