New SC35C/N35X

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SC35C/N35X

The pair just came in the mail. Not sure which table I'll try it on first. ARXA, Dual Idler, SL-D3. Hope this works out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1331.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	58812
    Bugle 2A3 Mono Blocks/GPA 604, JELabs OB's

Personally, I'd go with the AR XA or the Dual Idler.

I'm using mine on the Thorens TD-124/Ortofon SMG-212 combo tracking at 3g.
    Turntables, Tonearms, MC & MM Phono Cartridges, SUTs, Tubes All the Way (SET, SEP and PP), Some Digital Stuff, Big Horns, Electrostats and Stand Mount Monitors, Assorted Cable and Wire.

"To thine own ears be true....."

"Audiophiles Just Want to Have Fun....."

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion to use the cart/stylus combo. I have to admit I didn't think much about it at first. I had my mind set on one of the Nagaoka's, Well things changed when I found a article on the cart/stylus combo with the Mani. From there I did some searching and found a lot of good info.

I've had it installed on the ARXA for about 2hrs. so far. It's too early for a opinion on performance. I can say detail and clarity improved over the M91E. I also have two tables set up. The SL-D3/M91ED and the ARXA. I've been switching the same lp's back and forth just to confirm what I'm hearing.

One other thing I'm doing is using OB's with some vintage Utah/Allied 12" drivers. I'll have more details on these later.
      Last edited by opa1; 07-14-2017, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by opa1 View Post
        Thanks for the suggestion to use the cart/stylus combo. I have to admit I didn't think much about it at first. I had my mind set on one of the Nagaoka's, Well things changed when I found a article on the cart/stylus combo with the Mani. From there I did some searching and found a lot of good info.

I've had it installed on the ARXA for about 2hrs. so far. It's too early for a opinion on performance. I can say detail and clarity improved over the M91E. I also have two tables set up. The SL-D3/M91ED and the ARXA. I've been switching the same lp's back and forth just to confirm what I'm hearing.

One other thing I'm doing is using OB's with some vintage Utah/Allied 12" drivers. I'll have more details on these later.
        Glad to hear that things are working so far.

The SC35C has the same inductance as the last V15 and is proving itself to be a pretty good performer.

Interesting that you are using some vintage Utah drivers in OB enclosures. I have some vintage University 6201 12"AlNiCo coaxials in my JELabs OBs. Be interested to hear more about your Utahs.
        Turntables, Tonearms, MC & MM Phono Cartridges, SUTs, Tubes All the Way (SET, SEP and PP), Some Digital Stuff, Big Horns, Electrostats and Stand Mount Monitors, Assorted Cable and Wire.

Comment

The Utah/Allieds are a experiment. I really miss the large sound of the 604's. I'd buy another set but, I really don't have the room for them. So I thought I'd try the 12" single driver in OB's. The drivers have a whizzer cone. They lack in LF and I expected that. I'm thinking of making a shorter baffle to floor load them. I haven't ruled out putting some Alpha 15A's in H-frames and setting the Utahs on top. If I do that then I will have to bi-amp with a active xo on the LF. Cheap fun/entertainment.

As for the cart. I'm just trying to put some hours on it. It's better than what I was using already.

Comment

Small update on cart. I have about 15hrs. on it now. I had to change the tables. I really like my ARXA but, it's a pain for my old ass to use. So I bought a new headshell and put the cart on the SL-D3. Set the alignment and weight. Also found the M91e was tracking at almost 3 grams. Not sure how that happened. Anyway this cart is getting better with play time. I have it set to 3grams. The N35x instructions say that force should be from 1.5 to 3 with 3 being typical setting. So far enjoying this cart.

Comment

Ahhhh....the joys of a manual TT.

I usually track at the upper end of the allowable range - especially with a conical stylus. Sounds better and less record wear.

Glad to hear that you are still enjoying the SC35C/N35X combination.

Comment

This is that kind of hybrid cart from one of Shures DJ carts with a lighter tracking stylus from something else, right? I had forgotten about this combo, though remember reading about it. It sure sounds like something fun. One of my ex's had SC-35 on her SL-1200s for DJ use and I thought they were great fun, in a way that a lot of hi end carts can totally miss on a lot of musical options. I've been meaning to check this combo out, to do a review comparing it to, say, a V-15vmr to see the similarities and differences of Shure performance and what does what.

Comment

Yes, that is correct. Measurements of the SC35C and V-15 are very close. It would be interesting to hear both. It looks like the Shure N70EJ .4 x .7 elliptical or theN75HE .2 x .7 hyper-elliptical will work too. Tracking would be around 1.5. Jico has a SAS N75HE but, that's putting the cost of this combo up there.

Comment

I have a few of these comparisons in my head though this one is particularly interesting to me as I adore the V-15vmr, but feel it could stand to be a bit more fun and outgoing. But the point would be to keep the cost of one side low as at some point it just becomes a question of "why not just get a used V-15?" The fun is, of course, in getting most of the performance of something for a fraction of the price, especially in something new and available compared to something long out of production.

Comment

The cost of entry for the SC35C/N35X combo is pretty low.

Comment

• opa1
                        opa1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes Sir. I didn't look for the best deal but one ben-jamin shipped the combo to my door. lol

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X